Monday, June 1, 2009

Road Trip: Day 1

We officially began our cross-country road trip yesterday! Hooray!


It is a beautiful time of year to be driving. Everything is so green and beautiful. I especially loved the colorful wildflowers that grew along the side of the road and dotted the hills with color. I should have taken some pictures but I didn't.

Anyway, we are driving along admiring the beautiful scenery when the wind picks up and suddenly we hear thud...thud...thud........thud, thud coming from somewhere under the car. Ross immediately slows down and the sound stops. Then another gust of wind hits us and... thud..... thud...thud. Well we pull over and take look under the car and around the wheel wells, but can't find the culprit of the strange noise. So back on the road we go. After a few minutes our little friend makes himself known again... thud......thud...thud.......thud......thud. Well, this is annoying, we pull off the next exit which goes to nowhere, literally it connects to a simple dirt farm road, but it gives us a chance to do a more thorough inspection.

We crouch and we look.
We ponder.
We reach and we feel.
We contemplate.

Finally, we identify the thudding noise maker. At first it appears that the rain guard behind the front passenger-side wheel has come loose, but upon closer inspection we see that it has not come loose, but is exactly how it is suppose to be, even though that allows it to flap a little. We figure that we are only hearing it now because of the strong cross-winds we were passing through. Well we have a long way to go and simply cannot allow that darn rain guard to flap and thud every time the wind blows hard. What to do? We ponder and contemplate a little more. Hmm... if only we had brought some duct tape then we could tape it against the part it's thudding against. Hmm.... Ah-hah!! There is electrical tape in the tool kit in the trunk. And even more delightful is that Ross was smart enough to pack the tool kit within easy reach, just in case. With tape in place we continue on - thudless. It works!

Along the way, we come across the town of Little America, WY. A funny name we thought, so let's stop for a picture and gas. It is quite the little tourist stop, filled with all sorts of needless souvenirs, we buy none on this trip.

We ran into a few beautiful thunder storms which we could see coming from miles way.


We also saw tons of these windmills. I find them absolutely fascinating and beautiful. They also remind me of alien spaceships for some odd reason.


Finally around nine o'clock we arrive in Greeley, CO and were welcomed by our cousins Megan and Benjamin and their son Patrick. Thank you!!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Yay for road trips!!!! You are going to have so much fun!!! You know, I just see Ross and know you two are perfect for eachother.

Kerrie Curtis said...

I'm so glad it was harmless thudding. Have a great trip, I'll be watching for updates.

Heather said...

Cool thumping story! I once had an Izuzu Imark that would do thumping over 60 miles an hour. The cause was the Jack-in-the-box antenna ball--- the white circle would stop being areodynamic at that speed and just start flailing around...eventually bending the antenna back over the roof and thumping on it. Solution? Turn up the radio! LOL.

I'm so glad you packed smartly!!

~Heather