To be completely honest the last couple of months have been some of the hardest months of my life. So many things have hit me all at once and I have to admit that moving has taken more of an emotional toll on me than I really care to admit. I also agree with my friend Becky that being a Mom never gets easier (see Becky's explanation here).
As a couple Ross and I have come to realize that we are expecting to much of ourselves. Let me summarize our current responsibilities, Ross: Dad who is a full-time grad student trying to make good impressions so he will be moved into the PhD program asap, and working full-time for three different jobs. Megan: Full-time Mom who is trying to keep some sense of order around the house, comfort a teething child (Superman isn't handling the top teeth well), and be a full-time online student. Maybe there are some Super-Parents out there who can do all this and maintain their sanity but not us. Things will be changing soon.
Wait, back-up, I am not trying to complain and whine (woe, is me...), so let me get the point. Here are the lessons I have learned in the last few months:
- Happiness is a choice/ a conscious decision.
- True humility includes accepting that sometimes you have to let go of the good things.
- I have pride issues. I have to stop worrying about what others think (including those I love and respect).
- If you are not true to yourself, you will soon find misery. Standing up for yourself and your decisions is hard but will bring joy.
- Do not doubt the answers you have received.
- Keeping an open mind takes effort.
- Babies never get easier.
- Sometimes a change in attitude is more important and rewarding than a change in situation.
- Sometimes changing the situation is necessary.
I am going to run a Half-Marathon!
Please note that I am not a runner (yet). At the peak of my fitness level (on my mission) I would run a mile or two at a time because I had an awesome companion who pushed me (Thank you, Kristen!). But after some serious self reflection (both in the mirror and in my head) I have decided that something must be done. I need to take better care of my body (by the way pregnancy wreaks havoc on a body, especially one that is already struggling). So I have committed to running the Hobbler Half next July (and convinced my sister to do it with me). That gives us about 8 months to train and get this body working. Sadly I am so out of shape that my training is starting with a program called Couch to 5K, but hey, we've all got to start somewhere.
I am excited to finally face at least one of my demons and I know I will come out on top.
Life is tough, but I'm over it.
4 comments:
Hang in there. A small family across the pond is feeling stretched thin in similar ways. Things always work out, of course.
As for running, that will help. I started running in 2007 and two halfs and a full marathon and a 5k later (along with logging average 20-25 miles per week when I'm running), it keeps the stress under control. With a jogging stroller when there is good weather, it is even better.
I'm training for a half marathon too, but I'm only going to run half of it! It's a relay. :D
Are you going to be coming to our Christmas party this Sunday? :D I'm sorry that it's so early in the month, but that was the only time that would work for everyone in Utah. If you aren't going to be here that early, let me know when you do come to Utah and we'll get together for lunch. I want to meet Superman!
We CAN do this! I love you!!
Running a half marathon?! That is awesome Meg! I too have recently decided to take better care of my body. I am still the biggest wimp ever so I have been doing weights and stuff to get in better shape. It really helps to be happier when exercise is in the mix, I have found. I will cheer you on for your run!
Post a Comment